If you have advanced diabetic eye disease, your ophthalmologist may recommend surgery called vitrectomy, which involves removing vitreous gel and blood from leaking vessels in the back of your eye. This leads to improvement in vision. In advanced cases, scar tissue might need to be removed too.
How to Prevent vision loss from diabetes.
- Make sure you are controlling your blood sugar, and follow with your Internist, as High blood sugar causes vision loss.
- Treat high blood pressure
- See your ophthalmologist regularly for dilated eye exams.
- If you notice vision changes in one or both eyes, let your ophthalmologist know.
- Get treatment for diabetic retinopathy as soon as possible, which is the best way to prevent vision loss.